The fall leaves are still pretty but the morning temperatures along with the time change are starting to make it feel more like winter is near! Many people think that Cashiers just shuts down after the leaves fall! But that’s not true! Yes, it does slow down and some of the restaurants and shops close, but there are still plenty of fun things that make a visit in the winter a great choice! So here is my list of top 10 things to do (in no particular order) if you visit over the next few months.
1) Hiking–Yes, the trails all stay open and I think the views are even better with many of the leaves gone.
2) Eat! I just created a Google map that shows all the restaurants open along with their hours! Just click on the restaurant you are interested in and it will show you their winter hours. Click here
3) Read a good book in our new lobby. Stay cozy and warm by the fireplace. We even have a book swap shelf so if you need a book, just grab one along with a cup of coffee from the pot we keep going.
4) Get your Christmas tree. If you have ever driven around our area you know there are a lot of Christmas tree farms and plenty of places to choose and cut your own tree. Tom Sawyer’s place even has an Elf Village you can visit. Watch our site for package deals that include a tree!
5) Go skiing, snowboarding or tubing -We have a hill just 5 min. from Laurelwood Inn. This is a great place to spend the day. Their website has all the information including updates on snow conditions. Once again, we will be offering ski packages, so check our site soon. You can also click this link for more info about Sapphire Valley
6) December 14th is our annual Christmas parade! This is always a fun event for the whole family.
7) Build a snowman!
8) Shopping! Many of the shops in Cashiers and Highlands stay open year round!
9) Visit the waterfalls. They never close and are so beautiful in the winter, especially when ice starts to form around them.
10) Walk through The Bascom– This amazing art center in Highlands is open all year. Wonderful exhibits, art instruction and other events are offered. Admission is free. Click here for more information.
Laurelwood Inn is open year round, so visit our website to book a room!